Tuesday, March 15, 2011

just tell 'em

Like many humans I love being told that I am beautiful – I like being told it almost as much as I like being told that somebody loves me. It might be vain but there is nothing nicer to hear than somebody saying “You are beautiful.” And if it is sincere it has the most uplifting effect on me – like an honest hug on a bad day or a compliment out of the blue. Maybe I just like being complimented in general but whenever somebody is that sincere it always lifts up my day. Today, for the first time in a while I felt truly beautiful.

It was just an ordinary day, a bit overcast in the morning which was lovely, but on this ordinary day I was ill and had managed to catch the virus that was making its rounds around our household. I made myself breakfast and got back into bed and drifted off to sleep. I stayed in a catatonic state for most of the day until I got up, showered and did some household things, went on a lovely walk with my neighbor and came home to get ready to go to a school play, presented by my old house from high school during their annual play festival, which was showing that evening.

The play was fantastic and I adored it. It was original and had loads of awesome creativity flowing in it but the high light of my evening was seeing my cast from last year – two of them now the directors or in my mind HBICs – put a play that was captivating and hilarious. Partly I would like to think that I had helped to mentor them to this stage but that would be unfair on them. They did an amazing job and I loved being able to go up to people who I had worked with last year and congratulate them for doing so amazingly. I know that the HBICs most likely took to the water of directing like graceful swans and not like the awkward duck that I had been. I love giving compliments just as much as I love getting them – it is so lovely to see the smile on somebody’s face when you tell them you adore what they have done.

On my way home I popped in at my mom, who was working an evening shift in the hostel, and said hello to her. After I left, as she told me later that evening, the girl who had been in the staff study at that time had sighed and told my mother that I was “so beautiful”. I don’t think she knows how much I needed that but she is a lovely, beautiful person herself. I hope she knows that and that people tell her that.

When I got home, after popping in at my mom’s evening shift in the hostel, I made myself some tea that smells like jasmine and headed out to watch the moon rise. Sitting there, on the grass with my cats, while clutching my tea I can honestly say that I felt beautiful – and not physically beautiful but wholly beautiful. I felt this warm glow inside of me that I can’t really explain but it comforts me and lets me know that the Universe loves me as I am sitting on the grass, watching the moon rise. It was an inner peace I hadn’t felt in a long time and it was something I needed quite badly.

“A candle losses nothing by lighting another candle.” Somebody once told me that and it is true. So, go out and tell people they are beautiful and make them feel loved. Spread compliments like wild fire and make somebody’s day special because no matter who they are: they need it and need to know that the Universe loves them the way they are. Embrace what that teller told me once and just freaken tell people you love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment